There are festivals in India, which are celebrated throughout the country with vibrant fervor and joyful zest, and Ganesh Chaturthi is a favorite on the festival calendar. Ganesha Chaturthi, also known as Vinayaka Chaturthi is celebrated in the month of August or September, depending on the position of the moon. Lord Ganesha, the God of Wisdom, Prosperity and Good Fortune is honoured and it is believed that on this day, Lord Ganesha bestows his blessings on all his devotees.
Have you ever celebrated the festival on your own or are you in a new home and want to start off celebrations the right way? Read on to find out how to perform the pooja at home:
- The Pooja room must be cleaned before the festival.
- Buying the Ganesha idol is the most important and exciting part of the festival. The idol is immersed in water after the festival, thus it is best to buy an eco-friendly idol instead of the one coated with harmful chemicals.
- Thoranams for the doors and garlands should be changed before the Ganesha pooja. It is believed that decorating the doors with thoranams will allow the positive energies enter the house and block out evil powers.
- The entrance of the house should be decorated with a rangoli. This is a common practice in India where it is believed to be a sacred welcoming gesture for the deity.
- Buy all the necessary pooja items like diyas, incense sticks, kum kum boxes, camphor, sambrani etc, before the festival. Most people prefer buying the Sampoorna Ganesha Chaturi Pooja Pack, which has all the necessary items packed in one. This pooja kit contains 21 items that are essential to perform the pooja. Apart from all the items, this pack also contains a booklet and an audio CD with step-by-step procedure, necessary shlokas and Shree Vinayak Ashtottarashata Naamaavali which is essential for performing the pooja. The best part about this kit is that it is available online and can be shipped to anywhere in the world.
These are some of the many things to remember while performing the pooja on Ganesh Chaturthi. Here is a detailed video on the Ganesh Chaturthi pooja vidhi.
Have a beautiful Ganesha Chaturthi this year!