The beautiful festival of light, Diwali is perhaps the most awaited and well-known festivals of India. Celebrated with much fervor, grandeur, and cheerfulness, this festival brings people of all communities together cutting across caste, creed and religion. This spectacular and zealous Hindu festival of Diwali is a five-day long festival, where the third day is considered the most significant and auspicious. Day 3 is dedicated to Goddess Lakshmi and the deity is worshipped with a lot of devotion and passion. Lakshmi Puja is the most important ritual of the Diwali puja, and it should be performed in a proper manner.
Is this the first time you are celebrating Diwali on your own and want to do it the right way? Read on to find out the right way to perform Lakshmi Puja this Diwali.
- Diwali is the New Year according to the Hindu calendar. Hence, it is considered auspicious to clean the house thoroughly and sprinkle gomutra around the vicinity. This way you will be purifying and spreading positivity in the house.
- Place the kalash in the middle of the puja room. Fill it up with water, put in some supari, marigold flower and a handful of rice. Cover the kalash with some mango leaves in a circular manner.
- Place the idol of Goddess Lakshmi, bathe the idol with water, and decorate it with garlands, haldi, kum kum and sandalwood paste.
- Fragrance is another important aspect of the Lakshmi puja. Light incense sticks and dhoop in front of the idol and around the house. This will increase positivity and spread festive fervor in the house.
- Place the idol of Lord Ganesha on the other side of the kalash. The idol should be placed on the southwest direction of the kalash. Light a lamp and some incense sticks in front of the idol and pray to the deity.
- Arrange the aarthi thali with diyas, kum kum box, haldi, coconut and some rice grains. Place all the sweets and offering in front of the idols. Start the puja by applying tilak to the kalash and the idols. Offer flowers and garlands to the deity.
- Recite the Mantras and devotional songs. You can buy Sampoorna Lakshmi Puja Pack that contains everything that you need to perform the Lakshmi Puja. This pack contains a booklet and an audio CD with the procedure of the puja and mantras.
This is only a guideline for you to start-off, you can always customize the procedure. You can either buy all the products individually or buy a readily available puja pack for Lakshmi puja. Enjoy the festival with your family and friends and pray to the goddess for prosperity, wealth and health. Happy Diwali!